So, a big part of August for us has been about keeping busy preserving food. Our dehydrator has been running non stop, mostly preparing vegetables for soup mixes, herbs for storage and tomatoes for dried tomato powder and pieces. Our new freezer (we went from a 4 cubic feet to a 12.5 cubic feet last month) is half full with over 10 pounds of various fresh herbs in cubes of oil, pestos, fresh fruit ready for smoothies, sauces and stocks. And our new canner has been put to good use, canning everything from jams to potatoes, pickles to chutneys, whole fruit to crab apple jelly. We are not even halfway done filling that pantry of ours and the big jobs (tomatoes, beets, sauerkraut and various pickled root vegetables) aren’t even on the radar yet. Not to mention apple picking season which has only just started! Needless to say, we are happy with how productive we’ve been and our looking forward to expanding our pantry even more over the next few months!
Here is the tally so far :
- 8 half pint size jars of blueberry-maple jam
- 7 half pint size jars and 3 pint size jars of raspberry jam
- 3 quarter pint size jars of crab apple jelly
- 8 half pint size jars of lemon-honey ground cherry jam
- 8 half pint size jars of peach butter
- 8 quart size jars of peaches
- 6 half pint size jars of zucchini relish
- 8 pint size jars of dilly beans
- 4 pint size jars of carrot-daikon radish pickles
- 2 quart size jars of yellow wax beans
- 6 pint size jars and 1 quart size jar of shredded zucchini
- 3 pint size jars of pickled bell peppers
- 3 pint size jars of green tomato chutney
- 5 pint size jars of tomatoes
- 6 quart size jars of potatoes
- 5 quart size jars of sweet corn kernels
Still from last year :
- 7 quart size jars and 1 pint size jar of hot and spicy tomatoes
- 2 quart size jars of fermented pickled beets
In our freezer right now :
- Over 40 pounds of strawberries, blueberries, melons (of all varieties), peaches and bananas.
- Over 15 pounds of fresh herbs blended in oils or made into pestos.
- Over 150 dehydrated cherry tomatoes.
- About 30 tomatoes, sliced and dried.
- Whole hot peppers of different varieties.
What have you been canning/freezing/dehydrating?