Breakfast and Little Miss don’t always go hand-in-hand around here. Unlike my son that eats twice as much as I do, she will peck at food like a bird. That is, until Spring comes around and the weather isn’t so frigid. See, one thing that will always go down is a good, fully loaded, breakfast smoothie!
“Then why not a breakfast smoothie year round?” you may ask. Well, you see, both my daughter and I have very weak kidneys so cold food in winter is not a great idea according to our TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) practitioner. So warm milk and cereal, pancakes and eggs make the bulk of our cold-weather mornings, but from April to October, it’s smoothies all around.
What do I mean by fully loaded? Here is our basic recipe :
Fully loaded Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup organic plant-based milk (my daughter prefers soy)
- 1/4 cup of organic full fat plain goat milk or greek yogurt
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (this morning was blueberries, strawberries and cranberries)
- 1 dose powdered vegan kids probiotics (This is what we are using right now, but we will be switching to these in a few weeks.)
- 1 TBSP Vegan Omega/DHA oil supplement (This is what we use right now, but we will be switching to these in a few days.)
- 1/2 tsp Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (We use this brand)
- 1 dose of liquid multivitamin (What we use – French only site, sorry!)
- 2 TBSP of hemp seeds
- 1 tsp of either pure maple syrup or raw honey
You can imagine how happy I am when I see her completely slurp up all this goodness?
Since Little Man isn’t all about the smoothies yet, believe it or not, all those vitamins and supplements go into what we call his “loaded applesauce”. But I guess you can get used to anything if started at a young enough age!
What is your health regime? Do you have a breakfast hard-head? How do you get them to eat healthy in the morning?