Sharing a little glimpse of my garden that makes me happy.
Wishing you a very peaceful day.
Once again this year, I’ll be sharing little glimpses of our gardens. Although so much is growing all the time, there is always a little moment every week that makes me smile extra wide and this is what I want to share with you.
It’s raining quite hard today. The gardens are drinking it up and once again, I’m relieved of the chore of watering. Watering has always been my less favorite gardening tasks. That is right : I’ll take weeding and turning in manure over watering. Why? Because it is a waste.
I’m a conservationist, I believe that nature should take care of itself and the moment I plant something in the ground, it becomes nature. It seems absurd to me that I don’t have to water the yarrow and clover I pick on my land, but I have to water the tomatoes I grow. Some climates really have no choice! But we are zoned 4B in a temperate climate with about a 120 day growing season. But the weather has been so amazingly strange the last decade that some years, we feel like we are in the deep US South and some summers (like this one), it often feels like Spring never really left. But at the risk of upsetting many, this summer is my kind of summer.
Will I be eating my tomatoes in August instead of July, yes. Will my kids have to wear hoodies in the morning for our sunrise walks, absolutely… But have my gardens ever been as lush, healthy and hassle free as they have been this year? Never!
So today, I’m grateful :
- For steady solid rainfalls that nourish the soil that feeds us.
- For needing heavy sunscreen only every other day.
- For being able to wear my sneakers without sweating my toes off.
- For being able to walk for miles and never being tired.
- For growing so much food I’m able to share with friends and family, something we’ve never been able to do.
- For cool nights, making my babies happy in bed, under light comforters.
- For the life I lead, filled with simple pleasures and endless blessings.
How is your garden growing?